Wednesday, April 6, 2011

st. judy's comet


at the end of the day today, roman looked sad. he said that he missed his mom. i told him that even though i'm 26 years old, sometimes i still miss my parents too. i asked him if he wanted a hug, and he said yes. so we hugged.

last night i figured out why i love paul simon so much - and it's sort of simple. he makes me feel the way that it feels to be with my parents.

in the summer of 2007, i had just broken up with my college boyfriend and i was a wreck. my dad and i spent a week backpacking in the sierra nevadas. it was a difficult time to be father and daughter - i was so fragile, and he was so unsure of how to handle it. so, we just didn't talk about it. and that was okay. instead, we just stayed up late and stared at the stars in the sky and talked about the moon.

4 comments:

  1. You are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet, short, story! I love it (& the pic). But, I'm starting to feel like I'm the last person at Hot Metal who doesn't have his/her own blog! Love you, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your words are becoming as beautiful as your pictures.

    where and when was this photo taken?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too grew on Paul Simon. His words were the lullabies that my parents laid me down to. Now I can appreciate him for the amazing lyricist he is, but first and foremost, his music will always note safety and love of being home.

    ReplyDelete