Monday, March 14, 2011

watercolors


this is my first finished watercolor painting. i love it. i started it on my birthday - a cold rainy day that laurie and i spent painting and i finished it the night of my birthday party when all of my friends were in my living room drinking under warm light and quiet laughter.

i want to just keep learning. there's so much more to discover by adding color to water and watching it move on paper. soak and dry and drip and stop and start again. i want to use lighter colors next time. and avoid a lot of the dripping (not soaking, though) and lines by using a sponge to soak up before drips happen, and by moving the paper around more - not just leaving it hanging on the wall.

it feels really good to try. and be kind to yourself in your creative process. it feels good to just do it for yourself.

2 comments:

  1. it's a real beauty. and looking forward to many more to come. you're a star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a rainy day too. I've always wanted to try water colors but I think they're SO beautiful that I'm too afraid to fail at it. Like I don't want to ruin it or be bad at making beautiful things. You know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete