Monday, November 15, 2010

what a tangled web we weave

i am thinking tonight about home. and that i think it's good. recently, in small glimpses, i've been reminded of what it means to really live in isolation. and i've been reminded that it's not what i want.

when tresean got off the bus today, he ran up to me and hugged me. while i was gone in california, his funding for the afterschool program was cut. so i hadn't seen him in two weeks. i'd missed him. he doesn't always offer me hugs, in fact, he rarely does. but today it was natural and true. it's subtle, but it's good.

i have about 700 photographs that i took in california. it's going to take me a while to post them. until then, you should know, the best part, this time, was coming home. this morning there was a deep fog that had settled on the city. i was driving on bigelow blvd. and the yellow leaves were shining through the fog. this road, i've traveled every day for two years now, for various reasons, is the road that always draws out of me the most tender affection for this city. and it's not just the city - it's my family, and my friends, and my past. no pacific coast highway, or tallest tree in the world, or most spectacular sunset can replace that.

and in the morning, i'll think of anything - paul simon, or jed dryer, or tusayan, arizona and i'll feel differently. but tonight, i feel this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment