Friday, October 2, 2009

cold weather diary, 4.

you were driving me to the train station that morning. it was the first time i'd visited your house. it was my sophomore year of college; winter break. we'd spent the last few months together, every day. it was the beginning of a long, tiring, empty three years, which with every ounce of my being, i tried to make better, every single long, tiring, empty day.

that morning we made pancakes. i remember your feet on the tile floors. i remember your dishwasher, your pantry, your blue shorts. i think your whole family was there. i used food dye to turn the pancakes pink, blue, and purple. your family thought this was unusual - in retrospect, this was probably the first real sign. i felt like i was being studied and mocked. months later your father would ask me, "so, laura, have you opened up yet?" the night before at dinner, everyone was silent. i carried the conversation, mimicking my mother, asking questions, exaggerating my love for the steelers in order to find some common ground. i think i even talked politics, which is as unusual for me as it gets.

that night i slept in the guest room on a futon. your parents had little candle lights in each bedroom window. i think i kept mine on when i slept, i liked the way it felt. i liked the way the snow falling looked - like glitter. it was warm. we'd taken a walk in the woods earlier that day. i had to borrow your neighbor's wife's boots. he asked if we were dating - you said no. i thought, "then why am i here?" i think we were reading the same book at the time and tried to talk about it - but the walks in the woods are a blur now. they all flow into each other. most of those three years do. i was a ghost of myself - so it's hard to remember anything finite.

but i do remember this drive to the train station. there was a heavy covering of snow. farms covered in snow. lakes turned to ice. the way the early morning light falls soft, empty and quiet with a new layer of snow. the pennsylvania mountains around us. we drove slowly. we were listening to iron & wine, i'm sure it was my choice. i think we were quiet most of the ride. we had to be. this kind of beauty either turns you silent or makes you whisper. i wanted to hear the music more than i wanted to talk, so a whisper would not work. i was lost in my own dreams, my own romance; i was lost in the beauty that i could see but i knew you didn't have the eyes for.

and now that i think about it - i don't actually remember you here. i wonder if this was the day that we stopped being alive to each other. was it the day that i became a ghostly pale reflection of a woman you would marry? and did you, on that day, become the person i could, with careful attention to detail and delicate craftsmanship, turn into a brave, passionate, courageous man?

i put my hands in my vest pockets. warm against my warmth. a silent reminder then that would act as a savior in the years to come. a reminder to a place so deep inside of me that i was not even conscious of it. a reminder that i could keep myself warm without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment