Sunday, December 5, 2010

california, 2 / highway 1

when i was in high school, my friends were applying to harvard and getting 1600's on their SATs. i wasn't doing any of these things - i was, instead, obsessed with the state of maine and reading any novel i could find on the place and daydreaming about when i would move there. after my family had spent a few weeks in maine, i'd fallen in love with it. i built a dream-life, a town, "cape elizabeth" where i would live. i did research on this city, and even wrote to someone who lived there about teaching jobs in the area. i had an image of me walking into an old house, dusting the snow off my boots and hanging my hat up on a hook. at the time, i was best friends with 3 girls - i imagined us living there together. when i was in 5th grade, i was obsessed with the state of wyoming. after a trip to yellowstone, i started researching the state and spending my free time pretending that i lived there. i imagined being a teacher, living in the park, and that my best friend at the time, emily kunka, would come and live there with me.

the only goal i ever set for myself was to drive down the pacific coast highway when i was 25 and renting a car would be cheaper. it also might be the only goal that i've ever actually met. kate and i woke up in the morning in monterrey and drove down to san diego along the most beautiful coastal highway, with the most tender, gentle air, delicate and light, warm and cool in my face and soaking in my pores. it is, probably, the most beautiful place i've ever been. i wish i could have stayed here longer. but that's what you get for driving 1500 miles in 5 days. i would live this day over and over and over again.

this is the path we walked to get down to the shorethis is in santa barbara at the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment