Saturday, October 23, 2010

the seasons are changing and so am i, sort of.

these are pictures i took on a walk to the cemetery. fall is usually a really sentimental, nostalgic season. i look forward to covering myself in a blanket of those emotions - but not this year. for the first time in a long time, my emotions seem to be pretty steady - just sort of happy and even. maybe as we grow up, we learn to temper our emotions and separate our thoughts from our feelings - because as i've gotten older, my brain has only become more and more of a jumbled mess. struggling constantly with things, and swirls, and circles, and cycles and thoughts that never, ever end. finding myself in the healthiest, happiest relationship i could have ever imagined - but plagued by the highest expectations for my life, for relationships and a radical amount of need and want for everything that is me. finding very little honesty in the world of romantic love and marriage - no one seems to be honest with me. i think they're scared. frustrated by christianity's imbalanced focus on selflessness, and hatred of self, and the idea that community is the savior.

2 comments:

  1. i am intrigued by your last three sentences. tell me more, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. laura, these are great photos!! yellow trees, close up of leaves on the ground, and wires in the sky. also the composition of the fifth photo with the building is really interesting. i love you, and i know what you mean about fall. nostalgia isn't the same as it used to be.

    ReplyDelete